Magnet pictures a Victorian advertisement for the California Fig Syrup Co. of San Francisco. A brunette girl plugs figs from a branch.
Introduced around 1878, California Fig Syrup contained about 6% alcohol and was promoted as a laxative. The California facility was destroyed in the San Francisco earthquake in 1906 but had other facilities in Louisville and New York.
In 1902 the Supreme Court ruled against California Fig in its complaint against a competitor accused of plagiarizing their packaging and marketing. The Court found their syrup to have too few figs, making their marketing claims deceptive and not deserving of protection.
By 1918 the company was owned by Sterling Products, a manufacturer of several patent medicines, who continued marketing fig syrup into the 1970s.