Magnet pictures an 1864 advertisement for A. J. Plate, an arms dealer in San Francisco. The ad promotes wholesale and retail sales of: "double barrel guns, rifles, pistols, and gun trimmings, powder, shot, lead and caps" in addition to new made-to-order work and repairs. Plate also boasted, "Dealers in School Books and Cheap Publications."
In another 3 years the 411 Sansome street facility, also known as the Knickerbocker Engine House, would be damaged in the 1868 earthquake, settling nearly a foot.
Adolphus J. Plate's place in history was secured when he was sued for patent infringement by Henry Derringer (1786-1868).
Born in Borghorst, Herman Adolph Joseph Plate (1818-1878) immigrated from Burgsteinfurt, Prussia to New York in 1836, and moved to San Francisco in 1849. (The villages of Borghorst and Burgsteinfurt merged into Steinfurt in 1975.)