Magnet pictures an advertisement from the late 1800s for the City Hotel in Portland, Maine, owned by J.W. Robinson & Son and located on Congress Square at the corner of Congress and Green (Forest) streets. Built in 1830, the 4-story hotel was razed in 1894. The Congress Hotel was later built on the site.
The City Hotel had bathrooms, lights, was close to railroad and steamboat stations, had promoted its livery stable. Rooms were $2.00 - $2.50 per day.