Magnet pictures an advertisement from the late 1800s for Ederheimer Stein & Company's line of children's apparel. The illustration features boys wearing knee pants (aka Knickerbocker Trousers ) at play on a seesaw teeter totter.
As a young man in Stuttgard, Germany Max Ederheimer (1847-1914) was in the dry goods business so when he came to America and settled in Chicago in 1867, he went to work for the H. A. Kohn & Brothers, a wholesale clothing manufacturer. Ten years later he married the bosses daughter, Cora, and in 1889 was the principal founder of Ederheimer Stein & Co.
David A. Stein came to Chicago from Austria in 1866 and linked up with Ederheimer after working for various other wholesale clothing manufacturers.
Ederheimer Stein & Co., a manufacturer and wholesaler of children's clothing who supplied high end retailers nationwide, was located at 202 Jackson Blvd in Chicago. In 1918, by which time the firm specialized in pants, they moved to 1911-53 12th St.
The Ederheimer family lived on Grand Blvd. and had 4 children. In the early 1900s the firm joined other garment makers to contend in the courts with the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America. A grandson, Guy L. Ederheimer Jr., became an internationally recognized photographer.