Magnet pictures a Victorian advertisement from late 1800s featuring a black youth marching with a bass drum.
Clark's was founded in 1864 by George and William Clark in Newark, New Jersey around 1875. In 1895, around the time this advertisement was produced, George developed a six-cord, soft-finished thread that was the first thread suitable for use with a sewing machine. It revolutionalized the sewing industry and Clark dubbed it, "Our New Thread" (O.N.T.). In 1952 Clark merged with J&B Coats.