Magnet features an advertisement from 1870 promoting products needed for "steam warming and ventilating apparatus for public and private buildings" steam engines, steam pumps, Babbitt metal, wrought iron pipe, brass and iron goods manufactured by the Crane Brothers Works / North-Western Manufacturing of Chicago.
The company was owned and managed by R. T. Crane, G. S. Redfield, C.S. Crane and S.W. Adams. It was located on Jefferson Street in Chicago, between Lake and Randolph streets.
R.T. Crane was Richard Teller Crane (1832-1912) and his brother C.S Crane, Charles. The pair became very successful iron men in Chicago. At the time this advertisement appeared they employed nearly 200 workers. By 1910 that number grew to 5,000 and Crane was one of the world's largest manufacturers of valves and fittings. Today the company is owned by American Standard.