This 4" x 5" jumbo size magnet pictures a World War II advertisement from Oldsmobile. During WWII, Oldsmobile built cannons for the air force and ground force tanks, as well as shells, and parts for aircraft engines. This 1943 advertisement applauded the work of the 13th air force fighter squadron, highlighted Oldsmobiles effort and promoted war bonds. The snorting bull logo was redesigned in 1950. The version appearing in this ad was reportedly designed by Disney.
The 13th was activated in January, 1941 to defend the Florida coast. In 1942 when the US entered the war, the 13th was reassigned to the Panama Canal and designated a fighter squadron was returned home the following year and disbanded before the war ended, in 1944. In 1953 it was reactivated and inactivated in 1968.
Planes flown by the 13th included the Bell P-39D Airacoba, Seversky P35, Curtiss P-40 Warhalk, North American F-86L Sabre, McDonnell F-101B Voodoo, North American P-51 Mustang and Republic P-47 Thunderbolt. The 13th was stationed at MacDill, Dale Mabry and Drew fields in Florida and at Howard Field in Panama Canal Zone.